POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV 3.1d slower?? : Re: POV 3.1d slower?? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.1d slower??
From: Ken
Date: 4 Mar 1999 12:56:19
Message: <36DEC8AD.9C796FD1@pacbell.net>
Rick wrote:

> Hi all,
> Is  it just me or is POV 3.1d slower than the last version?, Especially when
> using rad and AA (9x9 rays)
>
> Rick

  Of all the tests I ran prior to it's release the opposite was true in
all cases. While I ran no performance tests on radiosity I did casualy
run a couple files with it turned on and recall is rendered surprisingly
fast. If you are running an old 486 machine you might have suffered
a performance degradation but anybody with a pentium or better machine
should see a performance increase in several different types of rendering
situations.
  Often times if it's rendering slowly it's more related to the construction
of the scene than it is anything else. Transparent textures, multiple csg's,
and lots of reflection all take their toll on the the old render clock.
  Take a look at the test results I submitted to Chris Cason either by
looking in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions or hit the link below
to go straight to it.

http://www.povray.org/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?cmd=article&group=povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions&item=9

--
Ken Tyler